Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression
MILD is a quick outpatient procedure, performed through a tiny incision (about the size of a baby aspirin), requiring no general anesthesia or stitches. MILD is an FDA-cleared procedure that has been performed safely on thousands of patients.
Here’s how the procedure works:
- Specialized tools are inserted through a tiny incision in your back.
- This removes small pieces of bone and excess ligament that cause the narrowing of the canal.
- Some doctors have described treating LSS as being similar to “removing a kink in a drinking straw”.
- An imaging machine is used to help guide your physician through the procedure.
- Restoration of space in the spinal canal decreases the compression of the nerves.
- This reduces pain and restores mobility.
How Long Does it Take To See Expected Results?
MILD is an outpatient procedure performed in less than 1 hour and clinical studies show it’s a safe, effective procedure that helps patients stand longer & walk farther with significantly less pain. Some additional points about MILD to consider:
- No general anesthesia required.
- No implants or stitches.
- Low complication risk.
- 53% pain reduction.
- Standing time increase from 8 to 56 minutes.
- Walking distance increase from 246 to 3,956 feet.
- Able to resume light activities within just a few days.